Frequently Asked Questions

The FAQ Section is divided into the following sections. Please click the appropriate title below to navigate to a section of the article relevant to your query:

  1. Pensioner
  2. Employer
  3. Member 
  4. Others
  5. SUPERTxt



1. What is a Pension?

A Pension is a periodic payment made to a person, usually at retirement to financially support him/her for the rest of his/her life. It is also referred to as a monthly income at retirement.

2. When is my pension due?

Your first pension will be paid out on your entitlement date. After which, your pension will be paid out on the 14th or 30th of every month, depending on how close it is to your entitlement date. The date of entitlement is the date your pension option application is approved on paper.

3. Can I get my pension paid out before my due date?

No, you can only receive your pension on or after the due date.

4. Who can certify Renewal Certificates?

The following individuals can certify your renewal certificate:

  • Justice of Peace
  • Commission of Oaths
  • District Officer
  • Minister of Religion
  • Bank Manager
  • Medical Practitioner
  • FNPF Officer authorised for this purpose by the Chief Executive

5. Can I sign my Renewal Certificate before my due date?

No, it can only be signed after the due date. This is an important requirement as it validates your status for further pension payment.

6. Does the renewal certificate have an impact on my Pension payment?

Yes, it does. Without the completed renewal certificate, FNPF will not release your pension payments. It is therefore important that the renewal certificates are forwarded to us when it is due. This will ensure continuity in pension payments.

7. If I am employed beyond the age of 55 years, is my employer still legally liable to pay my FNPF contributions?

Yes, your FNPF contributions are paid until you cease compulsory employment.

8. What will happen to my savings if I do not withdraw my FNPF savings at age 55 years?

Your savings will remain in your account, and will continue to attract the annual interest paid by the Fund.
However, if you are over 55 years, and your account has been inactive (no withdrawals or contributions) for 10 consecutive years, FNPF will transfer your funds to the Unclaimed Deposits Account (UDA). Your funds will remain in the UDA for 10 years during which time you can claim for these funds and have these paid to you. If it remains unclaimed after a further 10 years, then it is transferred to the Fund’s General Reserve, where these funds will NO longer be payable to the member.
The FNPF usually advertises the name of members, whose funds are in the UDA, before transferring them to the General Reserve.
It is therefore extremely important that you make a decision on your savings at the appropriate time especially after retirement.

Back to Top...



1. How can I confirm that my employer is paying my FNPF contributions?

You will receive a statement every 6 months to show your contribution for that period. You also have the option of visiting any of our branches/agencies or even calling any of our branches/agencies to query payments into your accounts and your balance. In addition, you can sign up for the free SUPERTxt Service – which allows members to receive their member account balances on a monthly basis. The advantage of SUPERTxt is that you can track your balances every month and see movement in your monthly balances.

2. How does FNPF send the Statement of Account?

FNPF sends the Statement of Account to your Employers twice a year showing your six-monthly transactions. The Fund usually advertises the dates in which the statements are sent out so that you expect to receive these from your Employers. Voluntary members can collect their statements upon request from any of the nearest FNPF branch/agency.

3. What should I do if I did not receive the Statement of Account?

You can obtain the Statement of Account from the nearest FNPF branch/agency.

4. How do I become a member?

There are two ways in which you can become a member. Firstly, is as a compulsory member. Once you start work, your employer would register you as a compulsory member. The other is as a voluntary member, which applies to unemployed, self-employed, domestic workers and also students.

5. What happens if I lose my FNPF/FRCA Joint ID Card?

You will need to have your card replaced, if you cannot relocate or retrieve it. You will need to visit the nearest FNPF branch/agency or FRCA officer and apply for the new card. Replacement card charge is $10 whilst a new issue is free.

6. How do I register as an FNPF member once I begin work?

Your employer is responsible to register you as a member. Your employer will need to complete the FNPF 3 form with your personal details as stated in your Birth Certificate and you are required to have your left thumbprint impressed on the form. You have to ensure that the information stated in the form is accurate. Upon registration, you will be assigned a membership number and a FNPF/FRCA Joint ID Card.

7. When can a member expect to receive a FNPF account number?

Members will be given an account number upon registration as a member. The account number is the member’s FNPF number. Currently, each FNPF number has seven digits.

8. Am I required to register again if I work with more than one employer?

No. All you need to do is provide your employer with your FNPF number. Your employer should use this account number to pay your monthly FNPF contributions.

9. What is the age limit to register as a member?

  • To become a new compulsory member, a person has to be over 16 years of age
  • To become a voluntary member, a person must be over 15 years of age

10. What is the implication to the employee if he/she is not registered as a FNPF member? 

The Fiji laws state that all employee(s) must be registered with FNPF as a compulsory member. The implications of not being a FNPF member includes that you would lose out on your FNPF entitlement which is the deduction of 8% of your total wages/salary to be paid to FNPF as your retirement savings and 10% paid by your employer. An employer is bound by law to register all employees.

11. What are the information and supporting documents required to register as a FNPF member?

The employer/employee needs to complete FNPF 3 form with information and documents below:

  • Personal details as stated in member's Birth Certificate
  • Left thumb impression;
  • Employer's number;
  • Signature of member;
  • To be witnessed by the employer representative & authorised FNPF officer only;
  • Member's address; and
  • Photocopy of member's Identification Card/Passport.

12. How can members update their records with FNPF?

  1. You need to complete FNPF 7 form if you wish to change any of the following;
    1. Name
    2. Date Of Birth
    3. Parent’s name
    4. Signature
  2. You need to complete FNPF 3B form if you wish to change any of the following;
    1. Gender
    2. Mailing address
    3. Residential address
    4. Contact details: email, mobile, fax, telephone

Back to Top...



1. What are the withdrawal assistance provided by FNPF?

The Fund offers two types of withdrawals, these are:

  1. Full Withdrawals:
    1. Retirement Withdrawal at 55 Years
    2. Incapacitation (Withdrawal under Medical grounds)
    3. Leaving the Country (Migration)
    4. Small Accounts
    5. Death (survivor’s/nominees benefit)
  2. Early Withdrawals
    1. Housing Withdrawal
      • Assistance through Approved Lenders
      • Assistance through Direct Housing Scheme
      • Assistance under the Village Housing Scheme
    2. Medical Partial
    3. Education Assistance
    4. Funeral Assistance
    5. Unemployment Assistance

2. Where can I submit my withdrawal application form?

You can submit your application form together with the certified copies of required documents at any FNPF Branch/agency, with the required processing fees. Members residing overseas can address their applications to:

The CEO,
Fiji National Provident Fund,
Private Mail Bag.

3. Where can I get the withdrawal application forms?

Withdrawal application forms can be obtained from any FNPF Branch/agency or downloaded from the website.

4. What are the withdrawal types allowed for foreign workers?

If the foreign workers are registered as FNPF members, they are eligible to the same withdrawal benefits as local members.

5. Can I cancel my withdrawal application?

Yes, you can withdraw your application if it has not been approved yet. However, under certain circumstances where it is necessary to cancel the application, then you can put your request in writing to FNPF outlining the reasons for your decision and submit this to where you had applied for this withdrawal.

6. What is the implication to members if their particulars in the FNPF record are inaccurate?

If your particulars are inaccurate and do not match what you have provided as part of the required documents for a withdrawal application, then this application will not be approved until your records are updated.

7. What are the benefits that I will receive as a FNPF member?

The benefits that you will receive as a FNPF member and having FNPF savings are:

  • Regulars savings paid monthly to your account through your contribution of 8% and employers contribution of 10% each of your wages/salary
  • Annual Interest on the savings (based on the previous year’s balance)
  • Death Benefit [to your nominee(s) upon your untimely death up to age 55 at which point, you can withdraw your retirement savings]
  • Retiring under Medical Grounds [inability to work because of a medical/physical condition]
  • Early Withdrawals (Housing/medical/education/funeral/unemployment assistance)
  • Retirement income at age 55 when you will choose a retirement option

8. Does the member need to be a legal owner of the property in order to use their housing eligibility?\

Yes. The name of the applicant must appear on the title of the property.

Back to Top...



1. What happens if I move overseas?

If you migrate to settle abroad you can withdraw all your funds. Or you can choose to leave these funds with FNPF until you turn 55 and need to choose your retirement option. This decision needs to be taken by the member in consideration of other important factors.

2. Is the FNPF savings, withdrawals, and pension subject to tax?

No, these are not taxed.

3. What is FNPF's action against members who do not use the savings withdrawn for the specified purpose?

Members are required to return these funds to FNPF within six months after payment was made. If the member does not use these funds for the specified purpose it was withdrawn for, and fail to return these to FNPF, legal action will be taken against him/her. If found guilty, members can be imprisoned for a given term and/or fined. In the last few years, FNPF has been successful in prosecuting these members.

4. Does FNPF appoint any agents to handle withdrawal applications?

The FNPF does NOT have agents. Members are advised not to deal with any party who claims to be an agent appointed by FNPF. If you are unsure, please contact us directly.

5. Can my representative collect the Statement of Account on my behalf?

No. FNPF does not allow the statement to be given to a representative or a third party as a Statement of Account is confidential.

6. What will happen to my savings if I do not contribute for a long period of time?

Your savings are still secure even though you have not been contributing to FNPF for a long time. Your savings will receive annual interest (depending on your previous years balance). You are also entitled to pre-retirement benefits depending on your eligibility. The FNPF deducts a single premium deduction of $35 per annum for the Special Death Benefit worth $8,500, which will be paid out to your nominee(s) plus your account balance, in the event of you should die before the age of 55.

It is advisable that you continue to contribute funds to your retirement savings, even if you are not working formally. You can do this by joining our Voluntary Scheme. This will ensure that your savings continue to grow, and you accumulate a healthy balance at 55.
For those members who have small balances, your account balance will be fully depleted should you not contribute at least $35 per year.

Back to Top...



1. What is SUPERTxt?

SUPERTxt is a free SMS service that the Fund offers its members to ensure that they get monthly updates of their FNPF balances.

SUPER represents our core business as a Superannuation provider. Superannuation means money which people pay regularly into a special fund so when they retire from their job they will receive money regularly as a pension.

The major objectives of this free service is to allow you, our member, to:

  • Watch your retirement savings grow every month
  • Ensure your FNPF contribution is paid by your employer (i.e. if your balance does not change the previous month's then you can enquire with the FNPF or your employer wether your contributions were paid or not)
  • Ascertain your FNPF contribution is posted to your account (your contributions may have been paid but may have not been directed to your account – this will enable you and the FNPF to address any anomalies that may arise from unidentified contributions)

2. How will members have access to this new service?

Members need to apply for this service by simply filling the SUPERTxt Registration Form (Form 3S) to register their personal mobile numbers and provide valid a photo ID for verification. Once the forms and identity of the member are verified, members will then start receiving an SMS every month stating their updated balances.

3. What are the major requirements for this service?

Member needs to fill our form (FNPF F3S SUPERTxt Registration /Amendment) and provide us with one of the following:

  • Passport, or
  • FNPF Card, or
  • Driver's License, or
  • EVR (electronic voter registration) Card

FNPF would verify the details provided by the member before we fully register him/her for this new service.

Back to Top...